Follow these 4 simple steps if you want to switch Your iPhone from AT&T to Straight Talk.
1. Purchase a Straight Talk AT&T Compatible SIM Card
You can order your SIM card from Amazon:
- For an iPhone 3G or 3GS you’ll need: Standard Size SIM
- For an iPhone 4 or 4s you’ll need: Micro Sim Card
- For an iPhone 5, 5C, 5S or SE you’ll need: Nano SIM Card
- For an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus you’ll need: Nano SIM Card
- For an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus you’ll need: Nano SIM Card
- For an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus you’ll need: Nano SIM Card
- For an iPhone X you’ll need: Nano SIM Card
or you can buy directly from Straight Talk.
2. Purchase a Straight Talk Plan
You have two options:
- You can order a service card along with your SIM: Straight Talk $45 Unlimited Plan.
- You can pay for service over the phone or online with a credit card when doing the activation. There is no need for a physical card (click here to view Straight Talk’s Service Plans.
3. Activate Your SIM Over the Phone or Online
- Activate your SIM by calling 1-855-222-2355 or online at www.straighttalk.com/activate.
- If you want to keep the same number you had with AT&T and are doing the activation online, make sure to select “Activate my Straight Talk Service with a number from another company”. Have your AT&T account number and password ready. DO NOT cancel your AT&T service before activating your Straight Talk SIM if you want to port your number.
4. Insert your new Straight Talk SIM and Wait for Activation
- After completing the activation request, wait until your current AT&T service has been disabled (“No Service” status), then insert your new Straight Talk SIM.
- Activation can be quick but according to Straight Talk it can take up to a few hours. If you don’t want to risk being without service at a crucial time, do the activation at night before going to bed or at a time when you don’t expect to use your phone.
- Once activation has been successful, your status bar should display “TFW” instead of “AT&T”. Test your phone by making a phone call. If this works, you are now on Straight Talk!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I keep my current phone number?
Yes, you can port your number to Straight Talk at no charge.
What do I need to do if I want to port my number?
If you want to port your number, DO NOT call to cancel your AT&T service before activating your Straight Talk SIM. Once the porting process is completed, AT&T will automatically cancel your account and send a Final Bill.
Do I need to unlock or jailbreak my iPhone before switching to Straight Talk?
No, you DON’T need to unlock or jailbreak your AT&T iPhone for it to work on Straight Talk.
Do I need to update my iPhone’s APN settings in order to send MMS and access the Internet?
If your phone is running iOS version 7.03 or later, the APN settings should update automatically when your Straight Talk service is activated. If you can access web pages, then your settings have been updated. If your phone is using an earlier iOS version, you must update to the latest version available for your phone model.
Do I have to sign a contract with Straight Talk?
No. Straight Talk offers prepaid monthly plans.
Can I switch to Straight Talk before my ATT contract ends?
Yes, but if you switch companies before your contract ends, AT&T will charge you Early Termination Fees. For further details, see AT&T’s Early Termination Fees.
What do I need to do to unlock my AT&T iPhone?
To request an unlock from AT&T, your phone needs to be out of contract or you should’ve paid early termination fees. You can then request your iPhone to be unlocked at att.com/deviceunlock/.
Will AT&T pro rate my bill if I switch at the beginning of my billing cycle?
AT&T will NOT pro rate your final bill, so make sure you switch before your new billing cycle starts.
Activation didn’t work or I had other issues. What do I do?
Call Straight Talk at 1-877-430-2355 for assistance.