I just updated my iPhone 4s to iOS 7.0.3 and was a little worried about losing data or picture messaging. I brought my out of contract iPhone from AT&T to Straight Talk less than two weeks ago and I didn’t want to go through setting mms again using the SIM swap method. I’m glad to report that everything seems to be A-ok. Both mms and data are working as they should after the upgrade.
After rebooting, I was given an option to update the phone’s “carrier settings”. Upon doing so, my status bar changed from “HOME” to “TFW”. Also “Network” and “Carrier” now read “TFW” instead of “AT&T” (it’s great not to see the AT&T name on my phone anymore). For those of you who might be wondering what TFW means, it stands for TracFone Wireless. Tracfone offers services under various brands including Straight Talk, NET10 Wireless and Simple Mobile.
I’m curious to know if somebody has any problems to report after the 7.0.3/carrier update? Please leave me a comment if you are experiencing any issues.
Some people with the old Straight Talk SIM card (the one using att.mvno APN settings) are reporting they’ve lost mms and data after the TFW carrier update. In the other hand, people with the new Straight Talk SIM (using tfdata APN settings) are reporting both mms and data work without doing anything else. This means NO MORE SIM SWAPS required with the new carrier update for people with the new Straight Talk SIM card. Great news!
If you lost data and/or mms after the carrier update, this is what you’ll need to do:
1. Double check you are on iOS 7.0.3 and carrier update TFW 15.6.
2. Call Straight Talk customer service at 1-800-299-7784 from a second phone line (you’ll need to reboot your phone during the process).
3. Let them know you are having technical problems and that your SIM needs to be provisioned for the new tfdata settings. Straight Talk will provision your account to accept the new carrier settings. MMS and data should start working again after this (if the customer service representative doesn’t seem to know what you are talking about, ask to be transferred to a more technical department).
If you don’t feel like calling customer service, here are two other options:
– For $6.99 you can order a new AT&T SIM from Straight Talk or Walmart, these will use the new tfdata APN. You can then activate the new SIM online or by phone.
– SIM swap and change back to the old att.mvno APN settings.
I recommend either calling Straight Talk or getting the new SIM. It looks like they have finally fixed the bug that caused data and MMS not to work with Straight Talk iPhones and these two options offer a permanent solution.
The MMS and data issue on Straight Talk after iOS 7.0.3 update is a common problem that many users experience. The issue occurs because the TFW carrier update (Triangle Wireless) does not properly configure the settings for MMS and LTE data on Straight Talk-compatible iPhones. As a result, texts are unable to send and/or receive, while data is limited to only 2G speeds.
By the way, check out the best provider of insulation service in Phoenix, AZ – https://www.insulationinstallphoenix.com/.
Before you can experience service improvements, you should make sure that your device is running on iOS 7.0.3 or later. If not, then update your device to the latest version of iOS before proceeding with the TFW Carrier Update.
I’ve never encountered this kind of problem. But, thanks for sharing though. https://advanceappliance.ca/cooktop-repair/
I had never imagined that you can have such a great sense of humor. Overland Park appliance repairs
Brielle Luna says
Feels so nostalgic seeing how ios 7 used to look like. I think everything started from there.
fiberglass pools Dayton Ohio
Peter Coney says
I gained more knowledge after reading this! https://www.drywallservicesvictoria.com/ Thanks for sharing a great information,
Jannah yue says
The fact that this is happening is wonderful. Thanks a lot!